Tuesday, December 24, 2013

25 Days - Day 19

 Day 19 - The Last Supper



Luke 22:14-20
14 And when the hour was come, he sat down, and the twelve apostles with him.
15 And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer:
16 For I say unto you, I will not any more eat thereof, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God.
17 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, Take this, and divide it among yourselves:
18 For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come.
19 And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.
20 Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.


John 13:4-15

4 He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself. 5 Afterthat he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded . 6 Then cometh he to Simon Peter: and Peter saith unto him,Lord, dost thou wash my feet? 7 Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest notnow; but thou shalt know hereafter . 8 Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesusanswered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me. 9 Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord,not my feet only, but also my hands and my head. 10 Jesus saith to him, He that is washedneedeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all. 11 For heknew who should betray him; therefore said he , Ye are not all clean. 12 So after he had washedtheir feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye whatI have done to you? 13 Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am . 14 If I then, yourLord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet. 15 For I havegiven you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.

“First, consider the Savior’s introduction of the sacrament. The Savior knew what was about to befall Him. His sacred, atoning mission, beginning with the War in Heaven in the premortal existence, was about to unfold that evening and the next day. Yet with the trials by His adversaries imminently before Him, there is not the slightest evidence He was preparing a defense against the untrue accusations. The Savior instead introduced the sacred ordinance of the sacrament to His disciples. As I contemplate that solemn occasion, my feelings are deeply touched. Sacrament meeting is the most sacred and holy of all the meetings in the Church. After His Resurrection, the Savior instituted the sacrament among the Nephites. If we are to be His disciples and to be committed members of His Church, we must remember and reverence the sacrament. It allows each of us to express with broken hearts and contrite spirits our willingness to follow the Savior, to repent, and to become a Saint through the Atonement of Christ. The sacrament allows us to witness to God that we will remember His Son and keep His commandments as we renew our baptismal covenant. This increases our love and appreciation for both the Father and the Son.”

Elder Quentin L, Cook


No comments:

Post a Comment