Friday, October 12, 2012

Debate WHAT?


I had been anxiously awaiting the Vice-presidential debate.  It was hard to fit it into my schedule because of work, but I managed to get all of it in pieces.  I caught part at home, then ran (well, drove to work) to catch the last part.  Later I discovered that cspan was rebroadcasting it so I was able to catch the middle around 2:00 a.m.

To say that I was disappointed doesn't really describe the feelings I had and still have.  My feelings had nothing to do with the election or what the candidates had to say.  It was the manner in which they delivered their messages that annoyed me.  I am sure that if the election were based on that 90 minute session, I would have to vote write in my vote - probably for my friend, Duaine Cluckey.  

Vice-president, Joe Biden, was arrogant and condescending. His cynical smile and inappropriate laughter was an insult to both Paul Ryan and the position which he holds and hopes to continue to hold.  I think he felt that he had to find some way to make up for the ground that President Obama lost after his debate.  I just hope the American voters saw it for what it was.  He was trying to belittle Ryan and use the age factor to his advantage.   He seemed to be lording over him, as if Ryan was an insignificant opponent.  His manner seem to say to me, "Go away, little man.  You bother me."  I wish I would have tallied the number of times he referred to Ryan as his friend.  My guess is that they are about as likely to be friends as........... Oh I don't have a reference, but they are NOT friends.  Why use that term over and over again?

Before I left the house I asked Sarah to watch the debate and fill me in on what I missed.  She did watch it but when I asked her what happened, she said honestly, "I have NO idea."  Politics just does not interest her and she is totally unaware of the world around her and how she will be affected tomorrow by the adult choices of today.  Since that is a typical teenage response to things, I am not worried.  But she did say one more thing.  "I discovered that I do NOT like Joe Biden."  When I asked her why, my teenager replied that he was sooooooooo disrespectful.  Yay, Sarah!  She could see how he was in her few brief minutes of observation.  It makes me proud that she had the same feelings that I did.  

Now for Paul Ryan.  He reminded me of a deer in the headlights.  He was wide-eyed and didn't actually seem to know how to defend himself against Biden's crazy attacks.  He let Biden talk way too much.  What was up with the constant water drinking.  Did he do that to put off an answer?  Was that his thinking time?   I do think he came filled with facts and I was especially impressed with his knowledge of foreign issues.  He made some really good points when he talked and I felt educated on several different topics.  I already knew he had lots to say about domestic issues such as the economy and the debt, so I was happy to hear more.   I just don't feel that he brought his A game when it came to stopping the musings of Biden.  Was he just being respectful?  Or did he really not know what to say?   

One thing I am grateful for.  No election is ever decided on a vice-presidential debate!


No comments:

Post a Comment